Panamax and Furman: Committed To The Environment
Long before the green movement, Panamax was making products to help keep the environment safe.
- Sequential power shutdown uses less electrical power.
- Increased product longevity reduces landfill waste.
- IP capability & improved product performance lowers gas consumption by reducing the number of service vans and trucks on streets and highways.
- Products are made with recyclable materials.
- Packaging is recyclable, including foam inserts.
At Panamax and Furman, we recognize our global responsibilities as a manufacturer - and are also afforded the unique opportunity to provide products to our customers that reduce energy waste, landfill waste, and minimize our carbon footprint. Through the development of planet-safe technologies and by exercising responsible manufacturing practices, Panamax and Furman are committed to reducing our environmental impact.
Since long before the green movement, Panamax and Furman have been developing technologies to maximize the longevity of A/V equipment. Our industry-leading, award-winning protection technologies not only provide our customers maximum value from their electronic equipment, but reduce their carbon footprint by extending their lifecycle, leading to a reduction in landfill waste generated from damaged and discarded electronic components and repair parts.
Power Sequencing and Automation
Panamax and Furman have also been innovators in technologies that reduce energy waste. We were one of the first to bring power sequencing technologies to residential applications, and are one of the leading providers of sequencing components for commercial and professional A/V installations. These technologies allow precise user control over power consumption in their system, reducing excess current draw, protecting electronic components, and eliminating energy waste. Our automation features (using IP control and 12V triggering technologies) provide a significant reduction of power consumption by offering convenient methods of controlling which components are powered on and off in a system. By giving the user greater control of their system’s power consumption, Panamax and Furman products provide convenient and realistic methods of eliminating excess current draw from components in stand-by mode or components that do no need to be powered on at all times without physically unplugging them from the wall.
Reduction in Service Calls
For A/V installers, one of the most attractive benefits of our power management technologies is reduction of service calls. By protecting and enhancing the performance of connected equipment, our products reduce the need to replace components or troubleshoot problems, while our IP control technologies deliver valuable diagnostic information directly to an installer and eliminate the need to travel to an installation to power-cycle a component. This not only offers convenience for A/V installers and greater ability to provide reliable, prompt service to customers – it also reduces the amount of trucks on the road making service calls.
While Panamax and Furman are committed to providing sustainable products to our customers, we are also aware of responsibilities to the environment as a manufacturer. As a company, our strategic efforts to conserve resources include:
- RoHS compliance. Our entire 220V-240V Export product line is 100% RoHS compliant, greatly reducing the use of lead, cadmium, mercury, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyl (PBB) and polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) in our components. Further, we have been one of the leading voices in pushing overseas manufacturers to develop RoHS-compliant manufacturing and assembly facilities. Because of this, development of RoHS-compliant 120V domestic products is no longer cost-prohibitive, and we are specifying RoHS-compliant components into all new products beginning in 2009.
- Packaging, product literature: All Panamax/Furman products are packaged using 100% recyclable materials (including recyclable foam inserts and plastic bags). Marketing materials are printed with FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council) and RFA (Rain Forest Allliance) Certified Vendors on recycled paper with biodegradable inks.
- Scrap materials at our QA and repair facility are recycled. All employees within the office are provided recycling bins and large recycling bins are placed throughout our facility.
- Motion sensor lighting is used throughout our facillity and lighting/HVAC usage is cut back during peak power demands.
- An aggressive paper reduction initiative has resulted in the development of a paperless fax system and a company wide intranet to facilitate paperless communications.
- Sales trainings and offsite meetings utilize teleconferencing technologies to reduce travel and further reduce paper consumption.
Our commitment to the environment does not end here: we are continually exploring ways to provide technologies that allow our customers to reduce their impact on the environment, while actively reducing our own impact through responsible manufacturing and management decisions. Through the implementation of measurable internal goals and continuing innovation, research, and development of sustainable products and technologies, Panamax and Furman will continue to set a high priority on environmental consciousness and awareness of our part in the global community.